Monday, October 7, 2013

Walking Recklessly

I recently pulled out some old CD's that I had not listened to in years and put in my iTunes.  One album was the first and self-titled album by Jars of Clay.  I had forgotten how good this album is.  As I listened to one of the first Christian albums I owned, I was taken back to my freshmen year of highschool as memories flooded my mind.  One of my favorite songs on the album was always "Like A Child".  The song is based on Luke 18:17 "Truly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God like a child will not enter it at all."  As this song played on my computer during this morning's sermon preparation, one line jumped out at me:  "I wonder if I've grown to lose the recklessness I've walked in light of you."  So many thoughts are running through my mind surrounding this lyric.  Mainly it brought to mind a moment for both my wife and I that took place at MFUGE this past summer.  It seemed that God spoke the same words to us both one night during worship and my wife said it best when she shared with our group "I don't want to live my life safely anymore in order to try to be protected from hurt."  Essentially she was saying, which I was proclaiming as well, that I do not want to sit back and not do what God is calling me to do in hopes that I will experience less hurt in life.  The pains in life jade us to a point where we go into a precautionary mode for self protection.  As this grows we lose the recklessness of following Christ no matter the cost because we know that the value of Christ is far greater than the safety we can try to surround ourselves with.

So my challenge to myself today and to you is this:  let's not walk through life safely if it means that we are not following Christ.  When we follow Him there are going to be moments in life where it costs us some pain.  The prize that is Jesus Christ brings us peace and joy that far outweighs any pain.  Are you walking recklessly for Jesus or are you sitting back safely?

No comments: