Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Joyful Worship

Shout joyfully to the Lord, all the earth; 
Break forth and sing for joy and sing praises.
Psalm 98:4

One of the frustrations as a worship leader and worship band member is looking out and seeing people look miserable.  "Certainly I never look that way" I think to myself.  I am sure there are times that I look less than happy, but hopefully I am never perceived as miserable.  So why doesn't everyone worship joyfully?  I believe there are a number of reasons, but most are simply excuses.  

First of all, some would say they are that way simply because of song choice.  They do not like, or quite possibly, even agree with the nature of the song.  I think that excuse is, I guess for lack of better terms, sorry.  I, myself, do not like all musical styles or even think all lyrics are that great, but I can still worship.  I can still worship the One who has set me free.

Secondly, some might argue that they do not feel like it because of their circumstances. I can relate to that, as there have been times in my life when I did not feel like it because of a dark season of life we were enduring.  If we read the Psalms of David, we see that often he praised God while going through extreme dark seasons of life such as when he was running for his life.  That is definitely something I have never and hope to never experience.

I think though, it all comes down to this:  we do not worship joyfully corporately, because we are not experiencing joyful worship with Him ourselves on a daily basis.  If we do not spend time worshiping Him alone, how can we expect to worship Him with others.  Sometimes I look out and am discouraged by the looks on some peoples' faces, but then I am reminded of a couple of things.  First, they are the ones missing out on experiencing joyful worship.  Secondly, they are hurting God mostly.  It is not that we should have terrible goofy looks on our faces or worship in a way that is a complete distraction to others.  However, I think if we are worshiping on our own time daily, then when we come together with others we cannot help but worship joyfully.  Just a thought I had during my quiet time this morning that I wanted to share.

No comments: