Friday, June 28, 2013

Thirst for God

I am always amazed how God can place the same Scripture in front of you multiple times in a short period.  I obviously know that He is speaking to me when that happens and am thankful when He does that.  I have been reading some Psalms each day during my quiet time and yesterday I read Psalm 42.  These verses were very familiar to me as I have read many times.  As I meditated on this chapter I underlined verses 1 and 2:
1 As the deer pants for the water brooks,So my soul pants for You, O God.2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God;When shall I come and appear before God?
I had to ask myself in this moment if this is the way that I desire God.  If I am honest, while I do desire Him, I do not always desire Him to this extent.  Then maybe an hour later, I checked twitter and someone had tweeted Psalm 42:1. It was pretty amazing that this verse was placed before me and I realized that how God was definitely calling me to desire Him greater.

Then last night I laid down at about 1:30 am, after an amazing night of worshipping with one of my favorite bands "They Came Running" who is leading this summer at Fuge Camps at Carson Newman University.  I pulled up the Youversion Bible app on my phone as the verse of the day was updated since it was after midnight.  The verse of the day was Psalm 42:11:
Why are you in despair, O my soul?And why have you become disturbed within me?Hope in God, for I shall yet praise Him,The help of my countenance and my God.
Who is this God that is drawing both you and I to desire Him more?  He is the God of hope.  The Only One who offers real hope.  He is our help and the Only One worth praise.  If you are in despair today, turn to Him.  If you are in need of comfort, He is waiting with open arms to hold you.  If you find that you are thirsty today, seek refreshment in God Almighty.

No comments: