Friday, December 7, 2012

Light In The Darkness


I have challenged the students to read the Christmas story in Matthew and Luke early and often this month as we are in the Christmas season.  I read Luke 1 this morning which is the preparation for the birth of Jesus and focuses mainly on Zacharias and Elizabeth and the birth of their son John the Baptist.  So many things stood out to me today but one thing particularly I wanted to share.  At the end of the chapter we see a pretty amazing thing happen.  After they give John his name, Zacharias is able to speak again and he praises God with some beautiful words.  Then in the end he addresses his little son John and prophesies about all that he will do in serving God and preparing the way for Jesus.  Verse 79 really jumped out to me here and he says that John will:  

"shine upon those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace."  

As I read this over and over I am challenged that I too, and all Christ followers, are to be a light in this dark world.  We are to be the ones who point those living in darkness to the one true light.  I am also reminded of the Christmas worship song "Offering" by Paul Baloche that says "The sun cannot compare to the glory of Your love, there is no shadow in Your presence."  This is not only a beautiful bright light, but this Light, Jesus Christ, is the Light that gives us life.  He is the one that came to earth to die so that we could be reconciled to God.  Let's worship God for being the Light we are in desperate need of.  Let's also commit to shining His light and point those living in darkness to the life giving Light.

No comments: