Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cease Striving

A few weeks ago I was having one of those really busy days when in the midst of it I heard God speak to me "Be still".  I admit I was working frantically getting some last minute details finished before the start of our Disciple Now weekend and while it was not bad stuff, I sensed God calling me to slow down and spend some time with Him.  He brought Psalm 46:10 to my mind which most know as "Be still, and know that I am God...".  I mainly use the NASB and I love this version of this verse as it says "Cease striving and know that I am God...".  As I sat and spent some time meditating on this verse I knew that there were some things that God was challenging me with.  I wanted share and challenge you with these things as well.  


Many times we can be going through our daily routines and while the things we are working toward are not anything bad, we fail to take adequate time to focus on God and worship Him.  As this verse says "cease striving", we need to consider the things that we are striving toward and ask ourselves if they are what we really should be striving toward.  Sometimes in my own life I can get sidetracked as I strive for success.  For some it may be acceptance. For others it may be finding happiness.  Whatever it may be, if we are striving for something other than God, then it is a waste.  As I seem to have brought up in so many of my messages over the past bit, it becomes an idol.  So I want to challenge you today to allow God to examine your heart and reveal to you what you are striving toward.  Is it God or something else?  Are you willing to cease striving so that you can focus on God and allow Him to lead you?

No comments: