Monday, April 16, 2012

Ideal to Real- Jesus' Perspective of You


Last week at Wednesday Night Worship we began a new series called "Ideal to Real".  Throughout this series we will be looking at what the ideal Christian looks like and making it a reality in our life.  We began the night by watching one of the "Guy on a Buffalo" videos.  I can't believe I am just now discovering these but they are hilarious!  We then went into a worship set that included Marvelous Light (Charlie Hall), Happy Day (Tim Hughes), How He Loves (Crowder/McMillan), Desert Song (Hillsong United).


After an intro of what we are going to be thinking about and covering in this series, I talked a little bit about perspective.  I talked about how a perspective is a viewpoint or attitude toward something/someone.  I even talked a little about how perspective is used in art (got to use that Art Minor I earned somehow).  I then gave a story on perspective.  Last year Belinda and I went to Disney World for our summer vacation (that was actually in November).  Before going we researched restaurants and tips, and I found out about an old water park there called River Country that has been closed for several years and is now abandoned and overgrown.  If you take a boat to the campground, you can still see some of the ruins of this old water park, and for some reason it fascinated me.  So when we were there, we took the boat over, and walked up to the fence that keeps you from entering this old water park.  I put my camera phone through an opening and took a picture and sent it to my mom and led her to believe that we had climbed the fence and were inside.  After leading her on several minutes, I sent her another picture showing that I was actually standing on the outside.  However from the perspective of the first picture, it looked like I was actually on the inside.


The Scripture we focused on for the night was Matthew 16:13-16.  We looked at how Jesus asked the disciples who people were saying He was.  Then Jesus asks directly who they believe He is, to which Peter replies that He is the Christ.  From the last series (The Final Week) we looked at the question "Who is Jesus?" because it is the most important question for each person to answer in their own lives.  I then challenged the students to think for a moment about if they were able to sit down face to face with Jesus right now and talk to Him about anything.  We could ask all kinds of questions and He would have the right answer to each of them.  What if we asked Jesus "Who do people say that I am?" or "What do people say about me?".  This can be hard because sometimes people say awful and untrue things about us.  Sometimes though people can have an accurate perception of us.  Then what if you asked Jesus the question "Who do You say that I am?".  Jesus knows all, sees all, and hears all.  Jesus knows who we really are.  It is His perspective of us that matters the most.  We closed the night by sitting in total silence, and with the opportunity to spend some time in prayer asking Jesus who we really are, and to reveal the truth to us. I challenged the students to listen to God, and be willing to change the areas in their lives that need to change.  I challenge you to do the same.

No comments: