Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Isaiah 29:13

I read Isaiah 29:13 during my quiet time today and what a sad verse it is for those it fits.  As God is sending warnings to Jerusalem about the way that they are living He tells them that they are going through the motions of serving Him but that their hearts are not in it.  They are acting like they are worshiping Him for whatever reason, but they have no desire to worship Him in their heart.  As I read this and I am of course reminded of when Jesus quotes Isaiah as he warns the Pharisees in Matthew 15:8-9 and Mark 7:6-7 about living this way.  At the same time I am challenged to consider my own worship through song, Bible study, prayer, the way I treat others, etc.  How terrible it would be to know that this is what God would say about my worship.  I know that there have been times that I have simply went through the motions of worship in all of these areas, and for that I am deeply ashamed.  I am challenged today to always let all areas of my worship of God be genuine and true.  I want to worship Him with my everything.  I challenge you to read Isaiah 29:13 below in the different translations and ask God to challenge you in your worship and reveal to you if you have only been worshiping Him with your lips, or if you been worshiping Him with your heart.


Isaiah 29:13 (NASB)
Then the Lord said, "Because this people draw near with their words And honor Me with their lip service, But they remove their hearts far from Me, And their reverence for Me consists of tradition learned by rote,


Isaiah 29:13 (NCV)
The Lord says:  "These people worship me with their mouths, and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me.  Their worship is based on nothing but human rules.


Isaiah 29:13-14 (The Message)
The Master said:  "These people make a big show of saying the right thing, but their hearts aren't in it.  Because they act like they're worshiping me but don't mean it, I'm going to step in and shock them awake, astonish them, stand them on their ears.  The wise one who had it all figured out will be exposed as fools.  The smart people who thought they knew everything will turn out to know nothing."

No comments: