Monday, January 9, 2012

He Always Feels Like It

Do you ever have those days when you just don't feel like it when it comes to your relationship with God?  What I mean is do you ever have days when you do not feel like praying, studying your Bible, and spending time in fellowship with God?  Of course you do. Maybe I am presuming too much about everyone but I know in my own life I have those days.  There are simply days when I become selfish and do not feel like taking the time to read Scripture and pray for those arounds me.  Maybe I am alone in this but I am pretty sure that I am in the company of many.  Well I had one of those days recently and I did a lot of thinking regarding that feeling.  

First of all I am ashamed to admit that I would ever not feel like spending time with the God of the universe, the creator of all things, and the one who loves you and I so much that He would send His very own Son Jesus Christ to die for me.  Why would I not want to spend time with that person?  The only answer I can really think of is selfishness.  If we do not want to spend time with God then it can only be because we are being selfish and are more concerned with ourselves.  It may mean that in that moment we would rather be spending time with someone else, watch television, play video games, read another book, etc.  Whatever takes the place of God in this time becomes an idol in our life.  That may be a harsh statement, but I believe it is the truth.  

The next thing I thought of is that I have to understand that it is not that "I have to" spend time with God, but rather "I get to".  It is a privilege to be able to spend time in prayer and fellowship with God.  We must be thankful that we have the Holy Spirit to intercede on our behalf and do not have to do things like they did before Jesus came.  We can freely go to God when we need or want to.  That is something to rejoice about!

The main thing I considered is this:  God never feels like this about spending time with us. God never says "I just don't feel like spending time with you today".  He always wants to spend time with us.  He always feels like it.  Our feelings would be hurt if God didn't want to spend time with us.  So we need to consider how much it hurts God when we don't want to spend time with Him.  I am currently reading a book by Brennan Manning and he says this:  "What does the Christian life look like, once one is smitten by the love of Jesus Christ?".  I do not think that there is a concrete answer to that but one thing that I believe falls under it is that we desire to spend time with God and cannot get enough of Him.

No comments: