Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Thoughts On The Passing Of Steve Jobs

I can't believe it has taken me so long to write about the passing of Steve Jobs, but I still wanted to share some of my thoughts.  I have been a fan of Steve Jobs and his innovations as they have had a huge influence on my life and the way I do things.  I have always been someone who enjoyed technology and so as Apple started gaining major ground several years ago it caught my attention.  Shortly after I came on staff at Clearwater as youth pastor I was constantly struggling with my laptop and all its issues when one day I was fed up and grabbed the church's 21 inch iMac which was currently being unused and carried it into my office.  After a few minutes I was hooked on it and it wasn't long until I purchased my first Macbook.  I now am a complete Apple fan using a Macbook Pro which is the only computer my family owns and I use as my work computer, an iPad which I mainly use for chord sheets to lead worship, and of course my iPhone.  So now that I have gotten that out of the way, here are some of my thoughts surrounding the sad passing of Steve Jobs this past week.


-First of all, life is fragile and short.  Steve passed away at the young age of 56.  Life is short and we must live it to the fullest.  We should live each day for God like it is our last on earth.  Hopefully it will not be, but that is out of our hands.
-I am saddened with the thoughts of "what could have been" if this terrible disease had not taken his life.  Of course it is amazing that he has left 4 years worth of innovative products to be created, but if he had lived longer what might he have invented?  This of course reminds me of the life of Rich Mullins and how he passed on way too young.  I always wonder what worship songs we would be singing today if he had not passed on so young.
-I read something where he made mention of the time he did not spend with his kids because of work.  I sensed that there could have been some regret.  I personally do not have children and am unsure if I ever will, but I am reminded of the importance of my family.  I have been reminded of this much over the past couple of years as there seems to be less time in each day, there are more work strains on my life now than ever, and the fact that I have lost loved ones in the past few years.  My family must remain a priority in my life.  As a matter of fact my order of priorities must be:  1) My relationship with God;  2) My relationship with my family;  3) My ministry/job.  Sadly many people combine #1 and #3 and push family aside.  Also just as sad is that some people expect you to do that.
-I think about the legacy that Steve left as businessman, innovator, creative genius, etc.  This makes me think about the legacy that I am leaving.  I especially think about this as it ties into my next message as we end the Identity series next week.  Am I seeking an identity that will leave a legacy that people will like about me, or am I seeking to leave the legacy that pleases God.  As I was studying yesterday for my next message the following thought came out.  It is bold but understand what I am saying.  My thought was this:  "I do not want my legacy to be that I was a youth pastor, I instead want my legacy to be that I am a man of God who was willing to do whatever to serve Him and not caving to the pressures of the world.  In addition I want to be known as a Godly husband and family man."


So what have been your thoughts on the passing of Steve Jobs?  Has it made you think about life in any way?  As Steve said in one of his famous speeches "Nobody wants to die".  Nobody wants to go through any pain or suffering that leads to death.  However we do not have to worry about what will happen after if we have made Jesus Christ our personal Lord and Savior.

No comments: