Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Music Review- "A Way To See In The Dark"



Last month one of my favorite Christian artists Jason Gray released his next album "A Way To See In The Dark".  If you have never heard of Jason Gray you need to check out his previous albums that have had great songs such as "More Like Falling In Love", "I Am New", and "Blessed Be".  I have had the privilege to host two concerts with Jason Gray at Clearwater which you can read about.  Aside from Jason's unique music, he is the real deal.  Any encounter with Jason and it is obvious that he is a man that has been changed by Jesus and that Jason is making it his life effort to follow Him.  Jason's desire to reach out to people can definitely be heard in his latest album.  Twelve strong songs make up this album and for a little more you can purchase the deluxe edition with eight more tracks that consists of some alternate versions of songs on the main album, as well as some that did not make it.


The first song that is a favorite of mine is also the first single called "Remind Me Who I Am".  This song talks about how in the midst of pains in life we sometimes have to be reminded of God's view of us in the fact that we are His beloved.  This song has a great sound and the line that stands out to me is "In the mirror all I see is who I don't wanna be, remind me who I am".  As someone who struggles with self-esteem issues this song definitely one of inspiration.


My favorite song of the album is called "Good To Be Alive".  At first it caught my attention with its sounds because it is quite a bit different than the normal Jason Gray song.  Mixed in with some piano riffs and catchy beats is a message that is definitely true that we are blessed in our lives, even in the midst of the pains we suffer.  The chorus goes "I wanna live like there's no tomorrow, love like I'm on borrowed time, it's good to be alive".  The bridge and ending speaks volumes with the promise to God "I won't take it for granted, I won't waste another second, all I want is to give You, a life well lived to say thank You".


The title track of the album "A Way To See In The Dark" is another favorite of mine as it talks about seeking God in the midst of the dark times in our life.  The powerful chorus goes:  "I'll reach for Your hand in the night, when the shadows swallow light, 'cause I'm giving up giving in, once again a child like faith, is my only way, to see in the dark".


Like I said the rest of the album is just amazing and there is not a single bad song.  Some other great songs are "The Sound of Our Breathing", Nothing Is Wasted, The Other Side, Jesus We Are Grateful, and on the bonus disc "Before I've Done Anything".  This is definitely another favorite in my album collection and I hope you will add it to yours soon.

No comments: