Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Are You Looking For Him?

Nearly two and half years ago I purchased a one-year daily Bible that each day gives you a portion to read from the Old and New Testaments, Psalms, and Proverbs.  With school Bible reading and my own choosing to do another reading plan, I have put this Bible down several times and have recently picked back up with hopes to finish the last 20%.  I am pretty sure that I have read the Bible completely, but have no other way than this to benchmark that.  Anyway, while I usually make jokes with the students about reading Leviticus, if I am honest I normally struggle to find it exciting to read 1 and 2 Kings, and 1 and 2 Chronicles.  Sure there are plenty of great lessons for us to read and learn about, but sometimes the king lineage can be tedious.  However over the past couple days there have been some great things that I have read out of 2 Chronicles, one of which I want to think about today.


In 2 Chronicles 15 we read that King Asa has committed his life to serving God and influences his people as well.  In the 15th year of King Asa's rule he gathers all the people in Jerusalem where they make sacrifices to God and commit their lives to following God.  They celebrate this commitment with a loud shout and blast of the trumpets and sheep horns.  Then in verse 15 they rejoice because of their commitment to God.  The New Century Version states in verse 15 "They looked for God and found Him".  Pretty simple statement, right?  How often do we say we are committed to God, but do not look for Him?  I know we do not have to search for God because we do not know where He is.  I mean that we search for Him by daily seeking Him through prayer, Bible study, and by seeking His will for our lives.  Because if we seek for God like we should then it is pretty simple, we find Him just like verse 15 states.  My prayer for you today is that if you are tired, weary, angry, or whatever in your relationship with God that you would start fresh today.  I pray that you will make an effort to seek God as you know you should.  Know that you will not have an instant emotional change because our relationship with God is definitely more than just emotions.  I pray that you will seek God with all your heart because you will find Him, and as Jeremiah 29:13-14 in the Message says "When you coming looking for me, you'll find me. 'Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you won't be disappointed."

No comments: