Tuesday, May 31, 2011

All is Not Lost

This past Friday I made one of the stupidest mistakes I have ever made.  I was home on my day off but needed to send a couple of work emails and was then going to spend the rest of the day doing whatever.  I decided to get a bowl of cereal and was eating it at the same time I was typing an email.  Well the unthinkable occurred and I spilled milk on my Macbook!  I immediately got up, poured any milk on the laptop on me.  I turned the power off and dried it off as best as I could.  I immediately called Apple's tech support to find out what I should do, which they advised I needed to take it to an Apple store to get it checked out before even attempting to turn it on.  I took it and after they looked at it they advised it needed to be sent off to determine if it could be salvaged.  So now I must wait about a week to find out if the computer is ok.  The thing is, I am ok if the computer does not work.  However my data was not backed up and I could potentially lose hours and hours worth of work if the hard drive is destroyed.  I must say that at the thought of this I was devastated.  How could I make such a terribly stupid mistake?  Friday was not a good day at all.  They said that more than likely the hard drive will be ok, but we do not know yet.


After a couple of days of worrying about it, I felt God speak to me concerning this.  I felt God say that whether or not I lose the computer, or lose the data, it is still ok.  I still have my health, my family, my home, my job, and most importantly Jesus.  I am reminded of a quote by Reepicheep in The Chronicles of Narnia: Voyage of the Dawn Treader.  Eustace is turned into a dragon and later that night is lying on the beach and crying over what has happened to him.  Reepicheep walks over to him to console him and makes the statement "All is not lost".  I certainly do not want to lose my computer.  I even more so do not want to lose the data on the hard drive.  But if I do, all is not lost.  I have so much to be thankful for.  I have faith that my hard drive will be ok, but if not I do believe that God will guide me as I work hard to recover some of the work I had already done.  While there will still be much I cannot recover in work, pictures, etc. I still know that all is not lost.

No comments: