Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Promise of What is to Come

I was walking to the library this morning to begin a day of studying and writing papers.  As I was walking I had the privilege of hearing birds chirping.  What's the big deal you might ask. You can hear birds chirping all the time.  I am not sure why exactly, but it was a bit motivating to me this morning.  As I heard these birds singing, I was reminded that Spring would soon be here.  I love the Spring weather and am so ready for it.  I was thankful to God that He provides such wonders.  Then I thought about how I never have to worry that Spring will not come this year.  I never worry and think "Oh no, what happens if Spring does not arrive this year?".  We know that unless Jesus returns, we will have Spring.  It is a promise we have that Spring will come.


Before Jesus' death on the cross, He promised His disciples that He would be sending a helper, the Holy Spirit.  When Jesus makes a promise, we do not have to worry that it will not come to fruition, because it will.  We then read in Acts 2 that as the disciples are gathered that the Holy Spirit comes upon them as a "violent rushing wind".  Imagine how exciting it was for the disciples at this moment.  They were able to experience an awesome thing, but also another promise that Jesus is who He says He is.  He follows through on His promises.


So I want you to consider what God has promised you in your life.  The waiting time can be difficult, but knowing the outcome can help us as we wait.  The Holy Spirit helps, strengthens us, and comforts us as we wait as well.  I know for me personally, as I am overwhelmed right now with a full time school load, I have the promise that in May I will be finished and graduate.  Take comfort in knowing that God keeps His promises, and rely on Him during the wait time.

No comments: