Monday, January 3, 2011

Setting Goals

Thus says the LORD, 
Who makes a way through the sea 
And a path through the mighty waters, 
Who brings forth the chariot and horse, 
The army and the mighty man
(They will lie down together and not rise again;
They have been quenched and extinguished like a wick):
"Do not call to mind the former things,
Or ponder things of the past.
"Behold I will do something new,
Now it will spring forth;
Will you not be aware of it?
I will even make a roadway in the wilderness,
Rivers in the desert.
          Isaiah 43:16-19


As the beginning of a new year is here, you can not go a few minutes without hearing talk of New Year's Resolutions.  Several years ago I decided to stop making New Year's Resolutions but instead to set goals for the year.  You are probably thinking, "Nathan what's the difference?".  Well I think we can resolve at any point to start a good habit or stop a bad one and I believe that if you are convicted to do so then you should go ahead and do that instead of waiting until January 1.  Instead I believe in setting goals of things I want to accomplish in the year.  I remember one sleepless night one of the first few days of January 2010 writing out my list of goals for the year.  So how did I do?  Well, I honestly do not think I accomplished a single one of them.  I set goals such as read a book a month, and I even wrote out the list of books that I wanted to read.  Well with school taking more of a priority than I first expected, I did not read a single book on my list but read many other books, just ones that I probably would not have chosen on my own.  Another goal of mine was to write 8 complete songs.  That's not even a huge goal but I completed a big goose egg zero songs.  There are four or five melodies that I wrote without lyrics, and only one chorus, but that is as far as I got.  Guitar took a backseat priority this past year as well.


I mentioned the other day how 2010 was a disappointing year, and my lack of completing my goals honestly has nothing to do with that.  But as I begin 2011 it would be easy to look at that same list of goals and see it as unachievable, especially with me taking 15 hours this semester in order to graduate seminary, but I do not think that is the case.  I think I need to put in the past these "failures", reevaluate my goals, and set new ones for 2011, which is exactly what I plan to do.  I ask that you pray for me strength to accomplish the goals that I believe God has laid on my heart.  I hope that you will take time to set goals for yourself for this year.  If you have, please comment and share what goals you have set.

No comments: