Saturday, January 29, 2011

24 Years

This year in Upward basketball instead of people presenting devotions at half-time, people are giving their personal testimonies.  This is relief since last year I gave eight half-time devotions in one day!  I like speaking but that was an incredibly long day.  Before the season began I signed up to speak on this Saturday, well actually my mom signed me up when she signed up to give her testimony also.  This was not a big deal for me to do this, part of what I do in my career is speaking in front of people.  However a few days ago I discovered something very interesting.  As I looked at the calendar I realized that I was not just speaking on any Saturday, but January 29th is my salvation birthday.  It was on this day as a 5 year old that I gave my life to Jesus Christ making Him my Lord and Savior.


I remember that night very clearly.  I had been going through a season of confusion and began to ask my parents questions about Jesus, heaven, and hell.  I was watching television that night when a man dreamed that he had died and went to hell.  I was scared and realized that night that if I died then I would go to hell because of the sin in my life.  I talked to my parents and that night in my bedroom I confessed to God that I was sinner and believed on Jesus Christ that He died for my sins and rose from the grave on the third day.  I committed my life to Him forever changing my life.  


I am so thankful for what Jesus has done for me.  As I shared at Upward today, one of my favorite verses is Jeremiah 29:11 which states (my paraphrase) "For I know the plans I have you declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not harm you, but to give you a future and a hope."  In the midst of my failures, and even in the midst of my own self-esteem issues, I can take joy in knowing that God has plans to use me.  


What a privilege and honor it was to share my testimony today 24 years after Jesus Christ saved me!

No comments: