Friday, December 3, 2010

Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

This week at Wednesday Night Worship we began a short series for the month called "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" where we are going to take a look at some Christmas songs, pull a line out, and see what the Bible says about that.  I began by talking about how I love Christmas music, but that there are many Christmas songs that I don't like as well.  I gave my Top 10 All-Time WORST Christmas song list, which I will post another day.  We watched a video of a house that was decorated in Christmas lights that played to the song "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree".


There is a line in the song that says "You will get a sentimental feeling when you hear voices singing 'let's be jolly, deck the halls with boughs of holly'".  We then looked at Luke 2:19 that says: "But Mary treasured all these things, pondering them in her heart".  Mary wasn't treasuring a song, or eggnog, or presents like we do at Christmas.  She was treasuring Jesus in her heart.  So I asked the students to sit quietly and ponder for a few minutes the question "What do you treasure in your heart?"  I also asked the students to think back to the day that they were saved.  Do you treasure in your heart the day you were saved?  Do you get a sentimental feeling when you think about Jesus saving you from your sins?  If not then I want you to consider why this may be.  If you have never been saved by Jesus Christ, then you need to get that settled.  I want to challenge you to treasure Jesus in your heart this Christmas season.

No comments: