Thursday, December 9, 2010

Joseph's Respect

Continuing our "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" series this week, we played another video of a house's Christmas lights synced to a song.  This week's song was "All I Want For Christmas Is You".  You know you like that song!  She talks about how she only wants one thing this year, and that is the person she "loves".  She does not want any presents or anything else.  Considering it is a love song (I guess), we took a brief look at one of the greatest love stories in the Bible, and one that I think it often overlooked.  That is the relationship between Joseph and Mary.


When we look at Matthew 1:18-25 I believe we see one of the greatest examples of love.  The reason is because we see Joseph show his love for Mary in his respect for her.  By law, he had the option to divorce her, which he was going to do so quietly to not disgrace her.  He did not want to disgrace her because she could have been stoned for being pregnant, but I believe that Joseph loved her in a way that he could not bare to see this happen.  However we also know that Joseph changed his mind after the angel appeared to him in a dream.  He then realized that this baby was conceived by the Holy Spirit, and that he was to take Mary as his wife.


I shared with the students that I believe the greatest way you can show love to someone is to show them respect.  It does not matter who the person is, a boyfriend, girlfriend, husband, wife, parent, child, family member, friend, teacher, acquaintance, or even someone you do not know, you should show them respect.  Even if they do not show you respect, the greatest way to show them the love of Jesus is to love them back and show them respect.  I challenged the students and I challenge you as well to make a point to show respect to everyone you come in contact.


The last thought I covered was thinking about how in the song she sings about how only one thing can fulfill her, and that is this person she is in "love" with.  I shared that when I was a teenager I dated a girl and we broke up a week before Christmas.  I remember hearing this song and kind of thinking the same thing.  However I realized that this girl could not fulfill me like Jesus.  He is the only one that can bring me the happiness and joy that I want.  Thankfully I met Belinda a couple years later, which is the person God prepared for me to marry.  While Belinda filled a void in my life, she still can not fulfill me the way Jesus does.  I do not say this to take away from Belinda, because she is incredible.  I say it though, it make much of who Jesus is in my life.  I hope you will do the same.

No comments: