Friday, September 3, 2010

Too Much Jesus

I was reading an article yesterday about how youth ministry has become weak over the years in the fact that weak theology is being taught (if even at all) and how there has to be a need to get back to biblical youth ministry. I have read similar books like Mark Oestreicher's Youth Ministry 3.0 that talks about this paradigm shift that must take place in youth ministry. There was one quote in this article yesterday that totally rocked me. One person being interviewed about how youth ministry culture must change stated "Most parents don't want their kid to end up too much like Jesus." Wow this broke my heart! The fact that it is true breaks my heart. The fact that any parent would not want their child to be more like Jesus breaks my heart.

So why is this the case? Well for one I believe that some people just want enough Jesus to keep them out of hell. I think that's just the truth. Some only want their fire insurance but never have any desire to grow in their relationship with Jesus, and instead stay apathetic and desiring only what pleases them. I also believe that standards have been lowered. I was just reading on a youth ministry website that if a student is unhappy with church then they should be allowed to take a break for a few weeks to discover why they are going to church in the first place. I'm sorry to be blunt but that's probably one of the stupidest statements I have ever read. I know that the Bible never states that we have to attend church Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night. But at the same time though it never says to take a break from the body of Christ when you are unhappy. I think this is proof of lowering the standards of expectations of "Christians"- people who claim to be followers of Christ.

I'm not posting this to rant but to say why is this happening? I'm heartbroken over this state of mind. The fact that people think they can have too much Jesus is beyond belief. I could never have enough of Him, and if I ever get to the position to say that I have enough, then I definitely have nowhere near enough of Him. I have been listening to a song lately that has the following lyrics:
...Lord, I give you my life
...Father of love You can have me
...I want to be where You are, I'm running into Your arms

I believe this is the lifestyle we must live. Not only sing a song but be willing to do and be whatever Jesus needs us to be. Don't be satisfied with where you are today. Let's continue to seek more Jesus. Also let's pray that the mindset of those that believe they have enough of Him will change to realize their need for Him is never ending.

No comments: