Monday, September 13, 2010

Monday Morning Thoughts

I'm sitting in the lobby of a hotel sipping coffee while I write this as Belinda and I are fortunate to be in Nashville for Lifeway's National Youth Workers Conference. We are both very excited to soak up information, but also be refreshed and refueled as this getaway could not come at a better time.

After what had been a very emotionally draining week, we were able to come to Nashville early enough to attend the Sunday night worship service at Cross Point Church. Wow what an experience! It was great to be a part of a worship service like this. I love being youth pastor and having the opportunity to play in our worship band, but it was a great opportunity to just sit back and be ministered to.

First of all the worship was incredible. Now I don't want this to sound bad but the first thing I said to Belinda when we got in the car was "We don't know how to worship". It's definitely not about incredible music, but that part was great. The sound quality was amazing and loud just like I like it. But it wasn't the sound quality or anything that made it come together. The fact was that the whole congregation was engaged in worshiping at the throne of God! It was really amazing to be a part of it.

Pete Wilson who is the pastor of Cross Point had an amazing message. He began a series called "Empty Promises" about the idols in our lives. I will definitely be downloading each message he preaches during this series. It is so apparent that Pete is not just another pastor, or pastor of a mega-church. Instead he is transparent revealing that he has a true heart for God. In his message he stated that we are quick to say that we do not have idols and that God is #1 in our life. But the truth is we all struggle with idols. He defined idolatry as "anything you seek to give you what only God can give you". A couple of other statements he made: "A need for hurry plus a desire for control will often lead to idolatry" and "My greatest temptation is not to chase after what is ridiculously evil, my greatest temptation is that I'll chase after what is deceptively good".

Afterward we were able to meet Pete and talk with him for a couple of minutes. We were able to share how hard things have been recently and dealing with the loss of Belinda's dad and how it happened. He was so caring as he listened to us. Later that night I tweeted about it and he replied back to me letting me know that he is praying for us. I know that anybody can make these statements but it is obvious how true and pure his heart is and so we know that he will definitely pray for us.

Great start to our getaway. I'll be honest, even though it is work related and I will be doing school work while we are here, I am definitely glad to be away from Athens for a few days. Looking forward to what God has planned and speaks to us while we are here!

No comments: