Friday, May 28, 2010

That's How I Ended Up Here- Part 5

Let's wrap this thing up. During this time of me being frustrated there were two major events in my life that impacted me. I remember a Sunday morning service, don’t remember what it was about but I remember hitting the altar and praying “God I’m frustrated. I don’t know why I am where I am currently but want You to know that I’m willing to do WHATEVER You want me to do”. In essence I was saying “God I completely surrender to Your will whether that is me staying here forever or doing something I never dreamed of”. Then about a year later we went to a concert of the “Glory Revealed” tour. This was a project by David Nasser and Mac Powell where an album was made of songs that are completely written from scripture. The book to go along shows how God is revealed in scriptures, even in ways we don’t necessarily think. This was a definite milestone in my life as I for the first time in my life understood the necessity of growing closer to God through His Word and I actually developed a love for it!

A short while later I became the “interim” youth worker while the church was seeking a replacement. After a while I kind of wondered if this might be what God was calling me to. But after a job opening opened at a local university to work in their Financial Aid office, I jumped on it and decided He wasn’t leading me to ministry. After a few months there I knew what God was calling me to- Youth Ministry and to be the Youth Pastor at Clearwater. I remember where I was sitting in the office the day that I knew for sure this was God’s plan for me. So after much prayer, many talks with Belinda, even many tears and some heartache I applied for the job. Then would be probably the longest 6 months of my life. Too many details to list here but it was definitely a process. But during this process I learned to become even more dependent on God. Then when I doubted my calling, God would do something to confirm His calling. One thing He did that I plan to post in the future was confirm this through a dream, which in seminary they would call that a type of “special revelation” (ha ha I couldn’t resist). So finally the day came when He blessed me with the position I currently am in. It’s definitely a huge blessing and honor to serve God this way. Then two weeks after I began at Clearwater full-time, Belinda got a new job in the Financial Aid Office (lots of irony here) at TWC where we went to school. She had been in misery in her job as well for 3 years.

So where does the road lead now? I certainly don’t know. I never expected to be in full-time ministry and certainly never expected to be in seminary. Just goes to show I don’t always know what’s best for me but God certainly does. I try not to focus on what God will have for us in the future but more so on the present. I know that I must remain willing to do whatever and go wherever He needs me. One thing my professor said today that encouraged me is that everything we are dealing with and going through today is preparing us for next year, 5 years from now, 10 years down the road and so on. This is a comfort to me. Especially when there are tough days and believe me there are definitely plenty of those. But I’m so thankful for God’s calling and the support system He has placed around me.

No comments: