Monday, May 24, 2010

That's How I Ended Up Here- Part 1

Have you ever driven somewhere and when you got there you were like, wow how did I end up here? My mind wandered the whole time I was driving. Or have you ever been at a point in your life and your ask the same question, “How did I end up here?” I’ve taught the students that you’re bound to think this at some point and hopefully it won’t be in a sin related way. I’ve told them that a serial killer who is in prison serving a life sentence may ask the question “How did I end up here?” but the truth is it didn’t happen overnight. There is always a road that leads there. Jason Gray even has a song called “That’s How I Ended Up Here” talking about this.

Well today I began a seminary class on campus. I am actually posting this from my dorm room that I am staying in this week. I’m taking “Systematic Theology” in what is called a “module course”, which is an entire semester in one week. So yeah please pray for me. My friend Jason even tells me I’m crazy for doing this and maybe so. I’m not asking myself the question of how I ended up here as a question of regret by no means. However this is something in my life that I never planned for. But I thought it might be cool this week to kind of give a summary of my life and the progression that led me to be a Youth Pastor and seminary student. I’ll try to be brief each day, but lay out some of the main details of my life and defininig moments that have led me here.

Today I want to briefly share of my salvation and life up to about my teen years. I was in church from birth, or at least I think so. If not from birth shortly after. My parents are both Christians and taught me the importance of church, and a relationship with Jesus. I accepted Jesus at the early age of 5. Not that I fully understood everything about being a Christian but understood the fact that my sin separated me from God and that I needed Jesus to save me and become Lord of my life. I remember being baptized in the small country church we attended.

I was at church any time the doors were opened as my parents were very involved in church life as leaders. My father was a deacon and the youth leader/director of the church. My mother wore many hats as well serving in many different areas as Sunday School teacher, VBS director and who knows what else.

We attended this small country church until I was about 12 years old when God moved us on to join another church body. I was about to head into my teen years, loved Jesus and fully knew that He was my Savior, but that was about it at this point. It was at this point that baseball became increasingly important in my life and would be for the next several years. Which is where I’ll pick-up tomorrow with how baseball became the god of my teenage years.

No comments: