Friday, May 21, 2010

All That Matters

This is the second post this week driven by how God has spoken to me through song lyrics. I'm pretty passionate about music and so I believe that music is one of the great avenues that God speaks to us through, but certainly not the main. We recently purchased the debut album by Addison Road. Belinda has been reading lead singer Jenny's blog for quite a while and it's been cool hearing the stories behind songs and the things that this band has been involved in. They are known mainly for their songs "Hope Now" and "What Do I Know of Holy", but there is a song on this album that has really stood out to me called "All That Matters". Its kind of different than most music I have been listening to lately although its definitely catchy, but the lyrics really grabbed me on this one.

The song starts out pretty much saying that I may be different than the world, but that's ok. The pre-chorus and chorus state the following lyrics.

This world is like a trampoline
High and low no in between
Jumping at the chance to please
Everyone but that's not me

Cause all that matters is
All that matters is
I know Your love has set me free
And that's all that matters to me

Wow these lyrics really impacted me. With all the pressures in the world to be something that maybe I'm not called or supposed to be, we can rejoice in the fact that Jesus sets us free. The love of Jesus is all that matters. Even though this is one of the main focuses I feel led to speak to our teens today, the truth is I need to hear it myself as well. I'll be honest, I've failed some this year trying to conform to what others thought I needed to be. All that has done is wore me out more, caused me to be frustrated, and has brought no positive results. So I challenge you as I challenge myself that whenever we're tempted to be something we're not to avoid it. Embrace the love of Jesus. He has set us free and called us to be who He called us to be.

No comments: