Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Like A Dog

We are house-sitting this week for my sister and her family while they are on vacation. Belinda has written a couple of blog posts about the time there on her site. The main reason we are staying there is to take care of their dog, a rat terrier named "Paco". Well Saturday night before they left they let Paco out but he never came home. They left for vacation at 3 am but there was still no sign of him. We even ran to there house during the day for a brief moment to see if we could find him but had no luck. Then as we arrived on Sunday night after church he met us on their street and followed us their driveway. As we went in he ran in and made a few rounds looking for my sister. As we were carrying our belongings in, we left the door open and he ran back out and out of our sight. He ran away again! Here he was back at home, safe and had the option of enjoying his home like he is intended to. But instead he decided to return back into the unknown, and potential for danger. He ran back into the wilderness! I was so irritated when he did this but I couldn't help but be reminded of Provers 26:11 that says "Like a dog that returns to its vomit is a fool who repeats his folly." Not saying that was what Paco was doing, but I was reminded of how I can be when I return to do something wrong when I know I shouldn't. It's as the psalmist writes, like a dog returning to its vomit. That's a pretty disgusting thought, but so is sin. Why do we sometimes return to sin when instead we can have the option of staying home safe with God and enjoying walking with Him? I don't have an answer. I don't know why I sometimes do something that silly. I don't know why others would either. But it may be because we don't see how disgusting and vile sin is. I personally want to walk in the presence of God, unhindered by sin. We all should want that. So lets all pray for the strength to stay home instead of wondering into the wilderness.



On a side note- Paco came home yesterday when a neighbor brought him back to us. He will now only go outside on a leash while we are there!

No comments: