Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Old Camel Knees

I was reading the book of James this morning and read something pretty cool in the introduction. For my ordination I received a new Bible and chose one in the Message translation since I didn't already have one. This semester I have been doing my Bible reading for school out of it and each book has its own introduction that explains the purpose of the book, who wrote it, etc. The introduction to James compared the church to a hospital and talked about how James was confronting some issues in the church. It went on to say that according to church history tradition that he was labeled the nickname "Old Camel Knees" because he spent so much time on his knees in prayer that they became calloused and looked like the knees of a camel. I imagine that he wasn't only praying simple prayers like "God is great, God is good" or "Lord, keep me safe today", I believe he was intently praying and interceding on the behalf of others. I've said before to the students how we must have calloused knees instead of calloused hearts, but here is someone who lives it. I know that I have been personally challenged lately by how much time I spend praying for others. I find that it is such a joy when I pray for others. I don't even need to know what is going on in their lives, but if God places them on my heart then I need to pray for them. So I ask you this, are your knees calloused? Mine haven't been but I desire to change that. How much do you pray for others? Or do your prayers mainly consist of praying prayers of supplication for yourself? If you are at a time where you are not spending much time talking with our God, then ask Him to give you that desire. It's usually never a matter of you not having time, but a matter of not making time.

No comments: