Monday, March 22, 2010

Godly Nervousness

Yesterday we were able to have band practice with the student band after having a few weeks of not being able to so it was nice to get everyone together again. I began with a few words and scripture before we started which ended up turning into a mini-sermon, if there is ever such a thing. But God had given me a word to share and encourage these students, and myself so it had to be said. I talked to them about how each week we need to approach it as a fresh encounter with God, even when we might be singing a song we've done before, maybe even many many times. I know for myself I have to keep myself in check because I'm at a point when I could easily lead a song in worship that I've done many times and at the end of it not even know how I got to the end of the song. Kind of like when you drive somewhere that you go often and when you get there you kind of wonder how you got there because your mind was wondering the whole time and you were just going through the motions. We have to be truly focused each time on the words we sing, and who we are singing to, and seeking for a brand new encounter with God. I said a new encounter, not necessarily a bigger than last time encounter (that deserves a whole blog itself). In Psalm 95:6-7 in the Message it says "So come, let us worship: bow before him, on your knees before God, who made us! Oh yes, he's our God, and we're the people he pastures, the flock he feeds." Each time we worship we may not necessarily be physically on our knees, but we must approach God in that manner.

At the same time I know that there can be a nerve factor when it comes to being in front of people. Believe me I know this because in the past I never would have wanted to be in front of people speaking and leading worship, but that's where God changes us to do His work. I told the students that we need to be comfortable in God because that's who we do this for. It's not to put on a show, show off talents, or any other motive that we can come up with. I know that I personally play with a different level of nervousness and confidence when I play in front of the church and when I am playing in front of the students. I shared that I want to become comfortable but at the same time I don't want to lose that Godly nervousness because there is a difference in that and regular nervousness. I got some looks like "What you talking about Willis" and so I explained myself. I believe that a Godly nervousness is the kind that stems from the fact that we understand what a huge task it is to be in a position to lead others in worship, and understanding that we are coming to bow before God on our knees. The God who made us. When we don't sense this then I believe we are doing things in our own strength, not depending on God. When this happens, we struggle, we burn out, we fail. Ask God to give you Godly nervousness, the kind that makes you depend on Him in whatever you're doing. Whether that is leading worship, teaching children, serving others in your job every day, or whatever you do.

No comments: