Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Friend of God

We often sing the song in church or you hear it on the radio the song “Friend of God”. How incredible and awesome it is that we can call the creator of the universe and everything our friend! I know for myself however I take this for granted a lot of times. I was reading the intro to the book of Acts in my copy of Eugene Peterson’s The Message when some things really stood out to me. To sum it up it says that we are not to be mere spectators or fans of Jesus. I think about this in comparison to sports and all of the baseball players that I have been a fan of and enjoyed watching them play. I’m their fan, I am a spectator, but definitely not their friend. I haven’t even met them. I believe we need to go beyond being in awe of God (which we must be in awe of God) and actually develop that friendship. I think a great example of this is in Acts 4:12-14 when Peter and John addressed the leaders after being put in jail “They (the religious leaders) couldn’t take their eyes off them – Peter and John standing there so confident, so sure of themselves! Their fascination deepened when they realized these two were laymen with no training in Scripture or formal education. They recognized them as companions of Jesus…” The leaders understood that their ability to preach with boldness came because they were companions of Jesus! I believe this is something we should consider when we think about our fears of sharing the gospel with the lost. I know for myself personally that I want others to recognize me as a companion of Jesus. So I am challenging myself as well as you- Are we merely fans or spectators of Jesus, or his companion?

No comments: