Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Crazy Love of God

We continued the Crazy Love series this week by looking at the love of God. If we are to develop a love for God that will lead us to change the world, then we first must look at His love for us. We all know the song Jesus Loves Me. Not to knock the song but I think the lyrics have lead us to give the generic answer "the Bible tells me so" to almost anything. If someone asks why we believe a certain way, we easily say because the Bible says so, whether or not we really know exactly what it says about the subject, much less know where in the Bible it is. We do need to take into account what the Bible says about God's love because, it's God word and is completely accurate. However we must also experience God's love to know how genuine and real it is. We sometimes though allow our circumstances in life to blind us from experiencing God's love.

We all at one time or another probably have felt unloved, or definitely undeserving of God's love. The great thing is that there is nothing we can do to earn His love, or to make Him love us any less. He loves us in spite of us which is incredible. We read in Psalm 139:17-18 that his thoughts outnumber the grains of sand. These verses have always blown me away. There is a lot of sand on this earth. According to Cha Cha, in just a handful of sand there would be about 100,000 grains of sand. This is more than the number of stars that can be seen by the naked eye. That's a lot of grains of sand! To think that God has more thoughts about you and me than the grains of sand on this earth is pretty incredible. It's pretty CRAZY! God not only loves us, but He likes us! I know that in my own life I give Him plenty of reasons to not love me or like me, but He does anyway.

So if God loves us in such an incredible way then what should our response be? To love Him back. So do you? Do you love God? Of course at first your answer is going to be "definitely". But here is a question that rocked me when I first read it. Do you love God, or just the stuff He provides? Wow! We should love God for what He provides for us and does for us, but do we love God just because He is God and first loved us? I encourage you to examine your heart and really think about your love for God. Do you love God, or do you just love His stuff?

No comments: