Thursday, January 7, 2010

Examine Yourself

I'm sure by now everyone is tired of hearing about fresh starts, resolutions, and better "you" this year. However I think it is something that we must look at, not only in the same sense as the world does but how the Bible leads us. We spent some extra time in prayer last night at our first Wednesday Night Worship of the year. We looked at the ending of probably my favorite Psalm in chapter 139 and verses 23 and 24. These verses are bold in asking God to examine our hearts. This can be very scary because when we allow God to examine our heart and life, everything is revealed- good, bad, and ugly. Not only will He reveal our heart, He may also require something of us. I love how the Message words it "Investigate my life, O God, find out everything about me". This isn't our normal prayer, but one we must pray when we decide to get serious about our faith. I challenged the students with the same questions I asked them this time last year, and Lord willing will probably ask them again this time next year and I encourage you to consider also. As you look over the past year, are you the same person you were this time last year? Of course you have the same name and stuff, but are you spiritually the same person? I hope not! I hope that you've grown as a Christian and grown closer to God. However I know this isn't the case for everyone. So examine your heart today, and every day asking God to show you where you need to grow, what you're doing right, and what you need to give up. Don't just try to be better this year at whatever, but allow God to transform you and make an effort to grow closer to Him.

No comments: