Friday, January 22, 2010

Believing in a Lie

If someone told you a lie, wouldn't you want to know it was a lie? Well of course unless there is something wrong with you! It always breaks my heart to see when people are convinced to believe in a lie, whether it is against someone or believing in a religious lie such as "any path will lead you to heaven". I remember when Saddam Hussein was captured and then eventually put to death by execution. I remember seeing the news reports saying that as they led him to be killed by hanging that he was shouting out chants to his god. He went to death believing in a lie. I remember discussing with my co-workers the following week about his execution. One friend asked me "Aren't you glad that he is dead?" It was a tough question because to be honest I was bothered by the whole thing. Of course I hate the terrible fear and death he brought on so many, but Jesus died for him just like He died for me. I told my friend that it broke my heart that he went to death believing in a lie.

I was reminded of this and how so many people are blinded when I read Matthew 27:25 which reads in the Message: "The crowd answered, "We'll take the blame, we and our children after us." These people who wanted to kill Jesus were so convinced that He wasn't what He claimed to be that they were willing to take the blame and put it on their children if they were wrong. That's a pretty harsh statement and would only be made if you truly knew you were right. That's what disturbs me today- they were wrong, Saddam Hussein was wrong, and many others are too. Now I know that I need to be very careful in this moment to not be stubborn and act like I have all the answers and know everything but I'm convinced by when Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me". I say all of this to challenge you today, take a look at the people you are surrounded by. Are they believing in a lie and if so what are you going to do about it. Prayerfully consider how to approach them and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you to engage in conversation that will lead them to Christ.

No comments: