Friday, December 11, 2009

All I Want Is My Fair Share

I thought I would go ahead and post a little bit about what I would spoken on this past Wednesday. Instead we were blessed with a student testimony. But looking at the Charlie Brown Christmas special there is a scene where Charlie Brown's sister Sally asks him to write a letter to Santa Clause for her. She talks in the letter about how good she has been and wants many presents and at the end of the scene she says "All I want is what's coming to me, all I want is my fair share!" Sometimes in our minds we think that in order to have a perfect Christmas that we should receive whatever we think we deserve. The truth is, we don't deserve anything but because of God's love we can receive salvation through Jesus Christ! Here is a few things we should consider on this subject.

1) Be thankful for what we do have- Psalm 106:1-2
We have so much to be thankful for. We have a God who loves us and many of us are blessed beyond what we can imagine. We must consider even if we don't feel this way that there are people who have so little in this world. We are very fortunate!

2) Don't judge the needy
I recently read a post on the Stuff Christians Like blog about how he had a time in the past when he judged those that they were helping at Christmas time. He noticed that these people were driving very nice cars, etc. I can relate because I lack in the area of mercy many times. Its terrible but I admit that a lot of times when I see someone on the side of the road I'm usually quick to think "get a job". I don't know their circumstances and so I shouldn't judge them. When Jesus said to "love your neighbor" in Mark 12:31 He didn't place stipulations on that love.

I think we should all challenge ourselves to do with less this Christmas in order to share the love of Jesus either by giving to those in need and/or giving to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering. To quote an old song by my favorite singer Michael W. Smith- "Love isn't love until you give it away".


No comments: