Thursday, October 22, 2009

It's Been A While

Well it's been a while since I've blogged and so to the two of you who actually read this I'm very sorry. We've been on vacation and since we've been back we've been working on the Youth House and stuff but I'm ready to share my heart on here today. I just ran across some startling statistics published by the Souther Baptist Convention. Many of these I have read before and it's sad stats like this that the church and me as a youth pastor have to allow to fuel us to do something toward changing it.

- 80% of churches are in decline.
- 10,000 Southern Baptist Churches failed to baptize one person last year.
- 11,000 SBC churches baptized less than six persons last year.
- 98% SBC churches baptized less than 29 people last year.
- Southern Baptist baptized as many in the 1950's as we do today.
- Approximately 60% of SBC failed to baptize at least one teenager last year.
- 75% - 85% of all conversions occur prior to the age of 16.
- 88% of our teenagers will drop out of church after high school.
- America is the fourth largest unreached country in the world.
- only 1 in 20 churches is growing by conversion growth.
- 3,000,000 people are leaving the church every year.
- The most credible evidence reveals that Americans attend church on any given weekend.


This is why I'm so passionate about making a change, especially to the statistic that 88% of teenagers will drop out of church after high school. This is why we have to do effective ministry and not just do church anymore the way some have twisted it to be. I just wanted to share these with you and hope they tug at your heart like they did mine.

No comments: