Thursday, September 17, 2009

These Are the Days

Thursday is usually the day when I post the notes from the previous night's sermon but today I have something different I want to write about. I'll definitely post them either tomorrow or Monday because it was definitely a sermon I enjoyed preparing and preaching.

You ever have one of those days when the most random song pops into your head? I'm not talking about just any song, but one you haven't heard in years? Well this morning was one of those times. Belinda and I struggled to get up this morning, probably because we stayed up late talking. Sometimes it takes me a while to gear down after a Wednesday night and with the recent action of cutting our satellite we sometimes are left to entertain each other by talking, which is quiet alright with me. So because of that we struggled to get out of bed and as I did almost immediately a song popped into my head that I hadn't heard in years. It was a song that I would have listened to at a strange time in my life several years ago when I definitely wasn't focused on God. Don't get me wrong I was going to church and stuff, but that was about it. There was no depth to my walk with Jesus.

So this song just randomly starts playing in head and the lyrics went something like this.......These are the days when all that I can do is dream. This made me think-which can sometimes be dangerous when I first wake up. It made me think of the dreams I have for my own life, my family, ministry, etc. I'm reminded of Proverbs 29:18 that pretty much says when we don't dream, then we have direction. Now we have to make sure our dreams are of God, but I believe we need to dream big. I love this quote by Steven Furtick- Has anybody laughed at your vision lately? If not, you may not have a vision from God. Probably just a daydream. As this obscure song played in my head I wondered what God might be saying. While God wants us to dream big, there has to come a point where that's not all we do. We must continue dreaming and allowing God to lead us, but we have to put into action the plan that leads to those dreams coming to pass. I tell the students, and myself, that the people in the Bible who did huge things are not just unattainable examples for us to read about. Sure we'll probably never doing anything that seems as huge as parting the Red Sea, but anything we do for God is just as significant from His standpoint. So for whatever reason I have this song in my head today, because of it I feel challenged to realize that- yes, these are the days. These are the days where we're meant to not only dream of what God wants us to accomplish, but to set out action to do it as well. I want to continue to dreaming big but when I get to heaven I don't want God to say "Congratulations, you were a big dreamer" which I know He wouldn't say but I want to hear "Well done!"

No comments: