Monday, April 13, 2009

We Don't Have to Search!

Ok, once again I have been neglecting the blog. I've been very busy and even though this week is going to be even busier I plan to make several posts. I should have posted this and another one regarding Easter but late is better than never!

This past week our local newspaper The Daily Post Athenian had a Golden Egg search. Each day the newspaper would have a new clue to where in the city this golden egg had been hidden. Then whoever was to find the egg and turn it in would win $250! As a youth group we decided to work together in order to find it so that we could put the money on our summer camp cost. We went several times looking, even dropping some students off at a median in the highway to look in a huge bush! I wish we had gotten pictures! We didn't find the egg but next year we will prevail!

There are 2 things I want to point out relating to the egg search. First of all, looking at the clues and searching for the egg itself made me so glad that we don't have to search to find God. We don't have to decipher clues in order to figure out salvation. It made me so glad that I don't have to do a special search to find God because if that was the case then I would probably never find Him. God is everywhere and is always waiting with open arms for us to come running to Him so that we can accept His love. How wonderful that is!

The second thing that I thought about was relating to the amount of people searching for the egg. One day my wife Belinda and I decided that we knew exactly where the egg was and set off for it during the middle of the day knowing that everyone was either at work or school. We actually were close to where it was found, but was astonished by the number of people who were out searching for the prize. It made me think of how people can get excited about trying to find $250, but how much do we get excited to search through the Bible to learn how we are to live our lives and to grow closer to God. I think if we would read the Bible with that kind of excitement every day then we would be amazed by what we would find!

No comments: