Tuesday, March 3, 2009

What is Sin?

Unless you're hiding under a rock then you know that sin is rampant in our world.  Also unless you are living in denial then you know that we are not perfect and fail daily.  We can rejoice that we can be forgiven of sin.  However the point I want to write about today is what the world's view of sin is.  It breaks my heart that some people do not view some sins as actual sins.  I'm not even sure if that statement makes sense but what I mean is that there are some things that are obviously sins, but the world has convinced people that they are ok.  Either that or they find ways to justify sin.  I tell the youth constantly that anyone can find a way to justify almost any sin, and that seems to be the case with many today.

T.V., media, peers, etc. all teach us that certain things are ok when they do not line up with the Bible.  Sometimes people even find ways to justify disobedience to authority.  We learn in 1 Peter 2:13-14 and in other scriptures that disobedience to authority is a sin.  I think my mom always said it best to me when she said "Break man's laws and you are also breaking God's laws".  This doesn't mean that we disobey God to obey earthly authority, but we still must respect their laws/rules.  I say all of this to challenge everyone to think about everything you do each day.  Think about if you would still do that if Jesus was physically right beside you.  

No comments: