Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What Really Matters- Part 2

I last blogged about how one of my focuses lately has been "what really matters".  I mentioned that sometimes we confuse busyness with spiritual life and the fact is that they do not equal.  I could write for a long time about this subject because it seems to be such a focus of mine the past while.  But busyness is just one part of it.  Idols too take the place of what really matters in our lives.

One of the many things that breaks my heart about teenagers today is the fact that they are obsessed about almost anything but what they should.  When I observe the life of teenagers I see some of the following things as top priorities in the lives:  friends, boyfriends/girlfriends, sports, popularity, school, etc.  The thing we have to realize is that whatever we spend the highest percentage of our time and energy on becomes an idol and becomes our God.  I even see people today who want to tie in these obsessions in Bible study.  We want to focus on finding God in these subjects instead of first seeking God.  This breaks my heart because I regret how I have made idols in my life in the past.  When I look back on the times I have made idols in the past it makes me wonder what blessings I missed out on.  It also makes me wonder what ways that God could have used me but instead I got in the way.  My challenge to anyone who reads this as well as myself is this:  Don't let anything whether it be busyness or obsession over something get in the way of your relationship with God.  Know and understand "What Really Matters", and that is our relationship with a savior that loves us more than anything we can understand.

No comments: