Thursday, January 22, 2009

Road Trip Pt. 2 - Crossroads

We continued this week with our series on "Road Trip" looking at where we are going and how we plan to get there.  This week we focused on "Crossroads" that we come to along the journey.  When I say crossroads what I mean is that we are faced with decisions.  Like it or not we have to make decisions because we have free will.  We need to keep in mind what we are told in Proverbs 3:5-6 that if we depend on God then he will help us through these decisions.

I talked about 2 types of Crossroads: Occasional and Daily Crossroads.  An occasional crossroad would be bigger decisions such as college, job, dating etc.  Another occasional crossroad would be our reaction to situation.  I shared how at a time in my life I was totally knocked off my feet and hurt by a situation and that I had a conscious decision that I could either seek worldly things to ease the pain, or I could follow after God.  Even though I didn't do things perfect I chose to follow after God.

Daily crossroads are the daily decisions such as if we are going to follow Christ or follow our own desires and live for ourselves.  Jesus tells us in Luke 9:23 that we must make the daily decision to follow Him.

If we know that we are going to be faced with crossroads/decisions, then shouldn't we prepare for them?  We need to pray for strength, answers, etc.  We must consult God's Word for guidance.  We should seek Godly counsel.  These are all things that we seem to be studying more than once lately.  I believe that when that is the case that God is trying to get our attention.  We also should anticipate decisions that we must make, as well as attacks from Satan.  And finally I talked about how we must know the effects of our decisions.  I asked if teens today realize that the decisions they make will effect them down the road and they answered "no".  When I asked why they made statements such as "most teens are living for the moment".  I believe this is true, but I also believe that adults fall into this too.  I told them that our decisions may be life changing, will effect us later on, and will effect others.

In closing I read the following statement:  Crossroads and decisions will come your way this year, both daily and occasional, both big and small.  Stay grounded and be prepared for them so you can make the right decisions.  And know that if you have made poor decisions, God still loves you and has a purpose and plan for you.

And here you go....Part 2 of the Road Trip video series.

No comments: