Thursday, November 13, 2008

Power in Declaration

On Wednesday night's I have been preaching a sermon called "Glory Revealed" based on the book by David Nasser.  Over the course of the series we have talked about God's love, having a reverant fear of God, and how God is revealed through our friendships.  This week I spoke on the power of declaration and declaring God's truths.  I even showed a clip from "The Office" where Michael Scott yells "I DECLARE BANKRUPTCY!" to show what it actually means to declare something.

The main scripture used was Psalm 42:1-5 and Psalm 43:4 where David is declaring how he will praise God.  This comes after he is experiencing lament or great sorrow from downward spiraling path he went down.  David declared these things about God, maybe even if he didn't feel like it.

One of the main points of the sermon was that we need to declare truths about God, and we need to declare that we need God and actually mean it.  We sing it, we say it, but with our societies twisted definition of what "needs" actually are, it doesn't mean that much.  I want to be reminded daily of my need for God.  I want to wake up each day and first have the thought- "God I can't make it today without out you".  I believe we need to be praying something similar to what the lyrics to Shane and Shane's song "Yearn" says:
Lord I want to yearn for You
I want to burn with passion
Over You and only You
Lord I want to yearn
So what do you need to declare about God?  Do you realize that you truly need God more than anything and that His presence is more vital than His provision?

No comments: